Brophy's Litigation Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

FOREIGN DIVORCES - VALIDITY IN IRELAND

Brophy's Law Blog

There are two main areas of legislation governing the recognition of foreign divorces in Ireland. If you get a Divorce in a non-EU country or Denmark then the law is as laid out in the Domicile and Recognition of Foreign Divorces Act, 1986. If however you get a Divorce in an EU country then you are subject to the rules of recognition as specified by Council Regulation (EC) 2201/2003 (Brussels II bis).

Everyday I get queries relating to whether or not Ireland would recognise a Divorce obtained in another country and more often than not the answer is based on whether the person who obtained the Divorce (the applicant) was residing in the country at the time the Divorce was obtained. That is putting it very simply! Habitual residency and domicile are two important terms that need to be considered before making any assessment as to whether Ireland will recognise a foreign Divorce. 

Recently however I got an interesting query as to whether Ireland could deem a Divorce obtained in another EU country as invalid! A big problem arose when we discovered that my clients wife, a Latvian national, obtained a divorce in Latvia has since remarried in Ireland. We are arguing that the Divorce obtained in Latvia was invalid for two reasons; firstly our clients wife was living and working in Ireland at the time she obtained the divorce in Latvia. One of the criteria set out in Brussels II bis is that the applicant must be habitually resident in the country where he/she obtained the divorce for a period of 12 months prior to the Divorce, or if a national of that country then habitually resident for 6 months prior to obtaining the Divorce (Article 3) and secondly our client was never served with the Divorce proceedings also a requirement set out in Brussels II bis (Article 22) despite having regular facebook contact with eachother during the course of the proceedings. It will be interesting to see how this turns out and hopefully we will have an answer by late November or December.

Recognising divorces obtained in other countries in Ireland is a complex area and I would strongly advise anyone intending to have a divorce recognised in Ireland as valid or invalid to seek the help of an experienced family law solicitor. If you have any queries about divorces or other family law matters, please do not hesitate to contact me by email at laura[at]brophysolicitors.ie and I will be happy to assist you.

9 comments:

  1. My name is Helen, I'm from California. I want to use this opportunity to thank the great Prophet Ijeja the Great who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great man IJEJA brought my husband back to me after 6years of breakup in our marriage, and i already had 3 lovely kids for my husband, before he left me for another lady, because she charmed him In 2007 some years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel and some misunderstandings, life was so miserable for me, until he finally left me for the other lady. For 2years i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met an old friend of mine that was also in a situation like this but hers was her ex- boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that MINE was a small case and that i shouldn't worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solutions to my problems and she gave me this great mans phone number and his contact email address prophetijeja@yahoo.com i was doubting if this man was the solution, so contacted this great man and he told me what to do and I did them all, he told me to wait for just two day and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so I faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure immediately after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him begging on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy family thats why I want to say a big thank you to Ijeja the Great spell caster This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem (1) He will help you to Have promotion in anything you do. (2 )Earn a good money. (3)Success in business. (4)spiritual problems. (5) win court case. (6)Looking for a good man. (7)looking for job. (8)want to be in control of you marriage. (9)want to be attracted to people. (10)you have be scammed and u need your money back. (11)you have be working without promotion. (12)If you have any symptoms of sickness that is un cured (13)You have pregnancy problems with babies: (14)If you have problem about your womb,you want have or bear children. (If you have brain tumour, or mental problem, this is the time for you to contact him). You can Email or any problem that is similar, i will advise you to come straight to this great man. you can email prophetijeja@yahoo.com Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role.Now we are able to make your love life healthy and it has no space for any type trouble. These all are possible with the help of AGBAZARA TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back withing 48hours who left me for another woman. you can also contact him on (agbazara@gmail.com) or /Whatsapp/call him on +2348104102662 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

      \





















































      Delete
  2. If somebody wants expert take on the main topic of blogging next I advise him/her to go to this site, continue the fussy job.LA Mediation Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI my name Katrina. I live and work in ireland. Originally I m Latvian. I have same problem.my ex husband file devorce in 2014 as like on my name. I had to go to Latvia to sign paper. But I don't live in Latvia over 10 years
    And I wonder is my devorce is legal in ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to let the world know about Dr,Goko the Great spell caster
    that
    brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost.
    Dr,
    Goko used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing
    back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when
    my
    husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him
    and
    accept him back and ever since then he loves me more than i ever
    expected so i made a vow to my self that i will let the World know
    about Dr,Goko because he is a God on earth. Do you have
    problems in
    your relationship such as:
    Getting Your Lover OR Husband Back
    Getting Your Boy Friend/Girl Friend OR Wife Back
    Child Spell
    Pregnancy Spell
    Love Spell
    Marriage Spell
    Cancer Spell
    E.T.C
    Need any of this, Email him now via
    dr.gokosspiritualcaster@gmail.com
    or call and Whats app on this number +2348056398964

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing such a useful post! It's quite a controversial topic! I would suggest getting legal advice. The complicated thing with divorce is sorting out the money and issues about children. You may browse this web-site to find out the average divorce cost. Hope this information may also help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going through depression when my husband left me and the kids for another woman, we had a beautiful life together and a peaceful home together. Few days ago, I notice some strange behavior from him, suddenly few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. he stop talking with me and started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me and the kids, I pleaded with him to change his ways and be a good man that he was. he refused to listen to me. I cried bitterly with a brokenhearted because my marriage was fallen apart. I did all I could to fix this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and helpless. I heard great news about Dr.Goko work marital settlement, I contact him and I explained everything that happened with a hope of solution from him. He promise to help me which he did. He resolve the problem in my marriage and reunite my husband back to me. Am proudly to say my marriage is back together better again. contact for help email: dr.gokosspiritualcaster@gmail.com
    WhatsApp and Viber this number +2348056398964

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role.Now we are able to make your love life healthy and it has no space for any type trouble. These all are possible with the help of AGBAZARA TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back withing 48hours who left me for another woman. you can also contact him on (agbazara@gmail.com) or /Whatsapp/call him on +2348104102662 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    \
































































    ReplyDelete